Followers

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The more things change...

It's been a little over a year since I first starting sharing. Funny how I haven't even thought about this place and just today, it occurred to me to try and find it.

I haven't been sitting idle for the past 12 months and 17 days, my brain has been busy. I've been trying my hand at writing and one of these days, I'll figure out how to showcase my photography - which I'm hoping will turn out to be for profit, not just for fun.

It all started when...

It's been repeated over and over - write about what you know. Well, what if you don't know anything? Or what you do know is old fashioned and and just plain weird? Where do you start? I guess I could start with thinking about hundreds of pages of blankness. I could start with trying to explain what I'm feeling. Or, I could just start at the beginning.
My mom told me that I have been writing stories since I learned how to write. I started with Bruce the Bear. I have no idea now who Bruce the Bear was and what he used to do, but I imagine that he might have been somewhat like that bear from Paddington Station.
When I was about 5, I was in the hospital and someone ( a well meaning friend of my parents) gave me a colouring book and a bear from Paddington Station and so it seems logical that I might've started to write about bears. Although I could also say that it is just as logical that I should be creating a colouring book. Anway, many years passed between creating Bruce and my next writing venture. I remember writing endless dark lines of poetry. I wrote and wrote, as if trying to wash away my teenage angst with ink. Didn't we all? My poems were of love lost and hearts broken. Cryptic lines that seemed so cool and deep at the time, which now just seems so not who I was trying to be. They even seem funny, looking back, because I never really knew any sort of love in my teenage years and mostly just pined away quietly for a myriad assortment of boys and men.
After that, I went through a diary phase. I have about 4 diaries in a box in the basement. None of them have been finished and most have only a few pages on which I swore I would keep writing so that one day, someone would know who I was. Everyone always wants to be a somebody, don't they? Just recently, I started a blog. I laughed at 'bloggers' for a long time, but then something inside me thought that it would be interesting if strangers thought that my life was interesting. But then I got busy and I've lost my blog, somewhere. And that pretty much brings me to where I am today - sitting here, trying to tell you about me, or the person that I want to be - I'm not really sure which.

No comments: